I have been trying to eat better and exercise more and I thought I was doing a pretty job until I read the following books. This first book basically goes through the aisles of a grocery store and compares the fat and sugar content of similar items. For example, I have been eating Danon's all natural low fat yogurt thinking I was doing great! Well this book explains that one serving of this particular brand of yogurt has the same amount of sugar as a kit kat! Then it goes on to recommend eating Fage nonfat yogurt(only 7 grams of sugar) over Danon's all natural low fat yogurt. I was really disgusted to find out that those Little Debbie double-decker oatmeal creme pies are 470 calories and contain 39 grams of fat! That is more calories than three Twinkies. I love those creme pies!
The second book goes through the popular restaurants and fast food places and gives the four worst menu items and the four healthiest menu items. It was a real eye opener to see that half of an Outback blooming onion is 1,155 calories. That is only HALF! And the worst restaurant dish in America is a platter of Aussie cheese fries from Outback coming in at a whopping 2,900 calories. Bleh. There are some good choices at Outback! The prime rib dinner with sweet potatoes and string beans is 730 calories...not bad. Ok and just one more thing, I used to LOVE the Aloha Pineapple Smoothie from Jamba Juice but then I learned it has more sugar than a banana split from Baskin Robbins!! Who would have known.
And then last but not least, I also got the Biggest Loser Family Cookbook. Lots of yummy, cheap, healthy meals. There will be some life long changes going on in our house!



8 comments:
Banana splits for breakfast, that's my kind of diet!!!!!
Kristy has this book and lives by it, the eat this and not that book! She says it is the best purchase ever.
I love Oatmeal Creme Pies too! Now I will feel sooo guilty every time I eat one. But, yes I will still eat them!
Those books are real eye openers aren't they!
smile
One note - sometimes a little of the 'real' stuff (in this case the chocolate syrup - did you know hershey's syrup is fat free!?) might be the better choice...
Many 'sugar free' syurps and candies are made with manitol or sorbitol.
These have their good points (they digest more slowly - good for diabetics of which I am one)
BUT
they can be really rough on the digestive system (causing gas and diarrhea)for many people.
So sometimes it is better to just use a little of the real stuff.
smile
Wow, that's interesting...I need to read that book!
You're so funny! Good for you for wanting to eat right and exercise! That is how Eddie and I are, and we love it! We really love working out because it makes us feel so good! Go you! :)
Thanks for your help last Friday. Without you we would have succumbed and probably eaten a bloomin' onion. Instead we went somewhere else and I had grilled salmon, asparagus, spinach and potatoes. Hope I lose this week.
Amazing! I will never eat any bloomin' onion again. I guess we need to buy the books or we will just watch your blog for updates!
Post a Comment