When I got the calling to be girl's camp director for my ward I was so excited. Then I learned that the place where my stake camped was no Camp Mack (PA girl's camp). No running water, no plumbing, no platform tents, no swimming pool! This was a true roughin' it camp. Not gonna lie, I was nervous and wondering how I was going to make it through an entire week of 'nature'. One of the main concerns I had was that I was worried I wouldn't get much sleep. The tents that we had to set up could hold 20 people! So my entire ward bunked together plus the Spanish branch. I made sure to purchase every single item that would make camp that much more bearable....I borrowed a camp shower from a friend, bought a cot, purchased delicious snacks, etc. So now that everyone is wondering how I did, I will tell you....I had a great time! It was so much fun and the activities were awesome and the best part was that every night our entire tent was asleep by 11pm! I love my girls!
Here is the massive tent we had to set up and take down....no easy feat.
Here is the massive tent we had to set up and take down....no easy feat.
The girls just before their skit. The camp theme was "Gone Fishin" and we decided to be the Rainbow Starfish. The girl's did an under the water Wizard of OZ with dancing with the stars at the end. Very clever and look at those costumes! Notice Dorothy has red glitter flippers!
One day we drove really far and on the worst road of my life to get to a beautiful lake. We repelled and went fishing.
Another day we spent some time learning archery and shooting. I hit a clay pigeon! Matt was very proud.
Another day we spent some time at the lake. This was by far my favorite activity. They had a zip line set up that took you over the lake. We could also canoe, cliff jump, or float around in tubes. I even saw a water snake swimming around! He was so cute.
I didn't try this activity, made me nauseous just watching.
We did a lot of eating. The cooks made some really good meals! I think I gained a little bit of weight :) (ok so that part was not roughing it!)
Here we are with the Rio Vista Branch.
Performing their Capers (chores). They also go to clean the porta potties....
The common area
It was SO dusty there....well it was more like yellow pollen from the trees. We also kept finding maggots everywhere. I guess they would fall down from the trees...gotta love the outdoors!
So I survived and really didn't care that I could only take one shower all week. I had so much fun and made some great new friends. Made me remember all the great times I had at Camp Mack!
Here is a video from Bishop's night.....


4 comments:
I don't remember girls camp ever being as cool as yours!!! Glad you survived!
I miss Girl's Camp. But how did you shower? The lake looks like fun you should invite me next year. I'll run the craft hut like mom does, haha.
No craft hut at this camp. You can clean the porta potties. I took one shower!! They hook up a hose to a water buffalo and drape it over a wall with curtains! They actually were able to heat the water. I got one of the last showers before it broke!!
How fun!!! You are brave, that is something I really don't think I could do, ha!!!
Post a Comment