Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Summer Is Over

You'd never know though because it is still 110 degrees outside...bleh. According to the calendar Summer's not technically over but Hobby Lobby's Halloween and Christmas sections tell me otherwise. Plus school is back in session for the youngins and that means more traffic in the morning.


I also feel like Summer has come to an end because my vacationing has come to a halt. And as of yesterday my schooling has been completed! I graduated in May but I stayed on at my internship until yesterday. It was a sad farewell.

When I first was accepted into grad school I was so excited. Then came the first tuition payment and I felt sick. I had no idea how I was going to afford the tuition. I also had no idea where my current income was going to come from since I really couldn't work and go to school at the same time. (I mean you can but they don't advise it). I just remember thinking this wasn't going to work out. When I went for my first interview with the internship office at ASU, I remember asking the lady if there were any paid internships. She said NO. I was again starting to doubt my ability to go back to school. That same day I got a text message from a friend in my ward who had connections to LDSFS. She said the adoption worker was looking for an intern and to call her! I was so excited. I called and set up an interview for the following day. My dream has always been to work in Adoption.

When it came time for my interview I was nervous and excited all at the same time. I worked for LDSFS in the past but I really wanted to learn more about adoption and hopefully do some clinical. During my interview the supervisor told me she had been praying for extra help. She covers Phoenix, Tucson, Safford, Yuma, etc. all by herself! She was swamped. She told me I was an answer to her prayers! That felt good. However, what she didn't know was that this opportunity was an answer to mine. Before the end of the interview she looked at me and said, "you know this is a paid position right?" I seriously couldn't believe it! It paid just enough to make up for most of what I was losing by quitting my full time job. I was so happy! I don't know if I could have gone to school without the pay.

An entire year later and I have grown more than I can put into words. It's been the best internship I think I could have had. There were hard times, but those experiences are the ones that make you grow the most. My internship was the most rewarding part of my education and that alone was worth every penny.

3 comments:

Kristin and Mike Jenson said...

What a great experience! So happy for you and all you have accomplished. Not happy that summer is almost over :)

laurbird said...

they will miss you

Mary said...

How neat :) Good for you girl! What are your plans now for the future?