We got Garfield when I was ten years old. I'll always remember going to our neighbors house in Glendora and picking him out of the litter. He was hiding in the garage and was tiny and cute. We named him Garfield because....well....he looked like the cartoon character Garfield and he had the attitude to match.
Gar provided many entertaining moments in our home. He loved to be around the family and always made sure to make it to scripture study. When my Mom taught seminary in our basement, he would love to come down and sit on our scriptures. One time one of the boys tried to move him so he could participate with his scriptures and Gar attacked him! He was an avid hunter and one time brought home a rabbit skinned to the bone! It was crazy....my Dad has a picture of it somewhere.
Gar had a short clipped meow and would meow even if you looked at him. He didn't like to be scratched for too long and when he was done you knew it!
I could go on and on with stories of Gar. He was basically my cat and spent every night sleeping on my bed. I'm pretty sure he had an identity crisis when I left for college.
Gar had the most nicknames in our family! Garsies, Papa Fur, Po, De Pope (which my Mom put the kibosh on quite quickly, not wanting to insult her Catholic friends), Mr. Gee, SuPurr (or Sir Purr), Garsagoonie, Garfunkel and Gar.
Gar was 17 years old when he passed away. Kyra found him curled up in a ball as if asleep only 2 weeks ago. I was really hoping to see him at Christmas. Matt told me that Joseph Smith said we will be with our animals in Heaven and I'm counting on it. I love you Gar :)
Morning I left for college
Hailey and Gar
Jenna and Gar
Crystal and Gar
Dad and Gar.....Dad was the only one Gar wouldn't attack


2 comments:
Aw girl! I'm so sorry to hear about Garfield! Are your parents planning on buying another cat? He's in a good place :)
Sir Purr!
Post a Comment