Friday, January 11, 2008

Cafe Rio Salad

Ok ok after many requests (and by many I mean two!) I will post the cafe rio salad recipe. Enjoy!


Café Rio Salad/Burritos
Sweet Pork
¾ lb. Pork loin roast
1 cup brown sugar
1 bottle red taco sauce
1 T cumin
1 can coke (not diet and caffeine free....haha)
Cover roast halfway with water and cook on low in crock pot for 6 hours.
Discard the liquid and shred the pork with 2 forks.

Mix brown sugar, red taco sauce, cumin, and can of coke and pour mixture over pork and put it on low (in crock pot) for 3 more hours.

House Dressing
1 dry buttermilk ranch packet (like Hidden Valley)
1 cup buttermilk (we substitute this with sour cream)
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tomatillos (husk removed & diced) Matt and I don't use these and it is still delicious.
½ bunch of cilantro
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lime
1 Jalapeno
Blend all ingredients in blender and refrigerate for 1-2 hours

Rice
Cook normal, except use chicken broth instead of water, and add a handful of cilantro and the juice from 1 lime.


Assembly:
You can cook your own black beans or get them in a can. Also with the tortillas you can buy them pre cooked or buy the doughy ones that you fry up. Just add the rice, pork, tomatoes, dressing, romaine lettuce, and whatever else you feel like. It is soooo delicious!

2 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Thank you! But, do you really mean just 3/4 pound of pork?

Your Cafe Rio salad dressing is the same exact one I have. I think someone who worked there got it. I am sworn to secrecy how I got it. How did you get it?

I enjoy reading your blog.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I'll bet it was a three to four pound roast, what do you think?

Sound so good. Maybe I should go to the store, hum.