Tuesday, January 1, 2008

I'll Be Home For Christmas

Matt and I were very fortunate to be able to go home for Christmas. We drove down Friday night and stayed until Christmas night. We had so much fun and had no time to rest.


Saturday

We went out and had family pictures taken. Then Saturday night we went to a friends house and watched BYU play a most hideous game. Luckily BYU came through in the end and blocked a field goal kick to win the game!


Sunday

Matt took the train to NYC to be with a co-worker who had lost his young wife and unborn baby a few days earlier. From this experience we are learning how important and short this life is. I was able to attend church and hear wonderful Christmas music. Sunday night Matt and I made Cafe Rio sweet pork salad and it was delicious. My dad couldn't get over how all of the different tastes are so 'delicious' together! haha.


Monday


We visited with some good friends, Mary and Eddie, who currently live in Utah. Monday evening we all sat down for our traditional Christmas Eve dinner, homemade sushi, shrimp cocktail and taquitos. There was some murmuring from the girls this year that it wasn't filling. But the tradition will go on! We then opened presents from Dad and Matt read the Silent Night Holy Night book. We all settled in to watch "Scrooge". This year was especially special to us because there is a scene in the movie where a hideous looking child sings about Scrooge saying, "He's a Banshee". Well not so....Uncle Whitney ruined our fun by telling us that the kid really says, 'he's a bandit' and told us our dad had been lying to us all these years. We put the closed captions on during the song and all cried when we read the sad truth. We still screamed out that he was a banshee and will continue to do so....so there.



Tuesday

We woke up to find that Santa had come and left gifts all around myself and Matt. We were later yelled at by my younger sisters who said we shouldn't have slept in the room that Santa brings the gifts to. Matt received a brand new razor, a set of golf clubs, a MP3 player and many other things. I received a Sapphire ring and a matching necklace, many gift cards, a jewelry armoire and many other tasty treats. Of course we had our annual Christmas Breakfast. This year was the largest by far. We had about 80 people attend and we even ran out of food for the first time ever! We later attend our traditional Christmas Dinner at the Mercado's home, which sadly will be our last year as they are moving to Idaho:( Matt and I left that night and made it back to CT in 2 1/2 hours, record time. We had so much fun and wish it could have been longer but were lucky to spend time w/ our family.




Merry Christmas and a have a Happy New Year!!!!

2 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I'm pretty sure I need that Cafe Rio Salad recipe.

The Peterson Family said...

I second that - post it or email it to me....NOW!

Love you,
Aunt Lisa