Thursday, September 11, 2008

This is the sight I saw Monday night driving back to Connecticut from Queens. What a reminder of the tragedy our country faced seven years ago. But also a reminder of what we have overcome since then. Living so close to NYC has opened my eyes to a whole new 9/11. Every single person, who lived here 7 years ago, I have come in contact with knew someone who died in the twin towers. People don't just talk about 9/11 on the actual date. People talk about 9/11 all of the time. Everyone has their own story of what happened that day.
I remember I was in 2nd period at NPHS. My photography teacher turned on the TV and there on the screen was breaking news that two planes had just crashed into the WTC towers. I remember going into 4th period where my Botany teacher had us watch the news coverage for the entire period. By then the third plane had crashed into the Pentagon. I remember when the news anchor came on and stated that they had just received word that a plane had gone down in PA, just outside of Pittsburgh. And I remember how I felt knowing that my dad had been on a plane to Pittsburgh that very same day. I remember the relief that took over when my mom told me that my dad was ok. I gained a better appreciation for my Dad that day; knowing how I would feel if I lost him. I remember the following days, weeks, months, and now years. I guess what I have taken away from 9/11 is a better appreciation for what I have. I also have such an appreciation for all of the people who risked their lives that day. The firefighters, the police men, the men and women in the towers who stopped to help someone else, the passengers and crew members on the airplanes, and the people in the Pentagon. These Heroes give me hope. They taught me selflessness. They taught me what Christ like love really is. I hope I can always remember the lessons I learned from that day.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Very sweet, and true :)

Abby Clark said...

Hi, nice blog! I found it while I was googling the recipe for the cafe rio salad dressing. lol. Anyways, as I was looking at your posts, I noticed you look kind of familiar, were you in the Philadelphia Stake? I am afraid I don't remember names all too well, but you mentioned you were from Lansdale and I am from Bucks County, so that might be where I have seen you, since there are few of us in that part of the country. :)

Ami said...

sorry I have to leave a comment, I can't find your blog to respond! Yes, I was in the Philly stake. Jarrettown ward. What ward were you in? I graduated in 2002 so we probably do know each other.