Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Very Sunday Post

Today was fast Sunday and that means testimony meeting at church. Last month I shared my testimony with the congregation for the first time in eight years....sad, I know. Today I felt the desire to share again but since I did it last month I didn't want to overwhelm myself! So I will share my thoughts on here....


LDS Family Services has a group called SOLE (survivors of life's experiences) and I have been able to observe the group the past couple of weeks. Last week we went to a church building and before anyone arrived, the therapists and I set up a rope/obstacle course. We had a rope tied to the door and it wound through the piano, chairs, tables and crisscrossed over itself. For the first part of group we talked about obedience and then told each woman that they would be blindfolded and led to a dark room where they would receive more instructions.

When the women arrived in the room I was the one who took their hand and placed it on the rope. Then I said to them, "Hold to the rod, never let go and it will lead you safely home". This activity may sound simple but it was not. When you are in a dark room with a blindfold on, you really have to trust your instincts and hold on to that rope. It proved to be challenging for each person that did it. At the end of the course there was someone there to meet them, give them a hug and say the words, "well done my good and faithful servant, welcome home". Every single woman started to laugh and seemed so thrilled to make it to the end!

Afterwards we met and talked about their thoughts and experiences. Most every woman said they loved the activity and how much it meant to them to make it home (to the end). One woman commented on how she thought the iron rod was straight and that you just had to hold on and go straight past the obstacles but she learned that it's not straight, it may go through tough obstacles and twists and turns. The point is to always hold on. If you lose your grip, remember you can always find your way back.

Life is hard, no doubt about it. If you hold to the rod and obey God then you can make it home.....I want to make it home and hear those words, Well done my good and faithful servant, Welcome Home.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Wow, I'd never thought about the rod not being straight! That sounds like a great family home evening idea.

karen said...

That was wonderful Ami, like Amber I didn't think about the rod not being straight, maybe because you always hear about the strait and narrow path. But the song says the rod strong and bright and true. It is a great FHE idea!

Steven and Alexa said...

Your testimony earlier this month was great! I wouldn't mind hearing it again! I did this once at girls camp at night on a rocky, tree-filled hill. Its a great way to teach about the iron rod/life!

Mary said...

I LOVE YOU! :)