So on Memorial Day I get a call from Matt (he is on his way home from work) and he asks for the animal social worker. So I humored him and said 'yes what do you want?' He then proceeded to tell me that he was just down the street from our house and had found a hawk in the middle of the road with a broken wing and what should he do? So I looked up the phone number for the humane society and hopped in my car to go see him. Sure enough there was a hawk the size of a cat with a gimpy leg and weird looking wing. We called the humane society and they gave us a number for a bird rescue. Of course the bird rescue did not answer so we called the Goodyear police who gave us a few more bird rescues in town. They all fortunately answered, however, most of them were swamped with birds or they were really far from Goodyear. We felt a bit discouraged but called the last resuce, Liberty Wildlife, and they said they had a few volunteers in our area! So finally one of the volunteers called us and came and picked up the bird. They said he was very dehydrated and they were going to take him in for an IV. Poor little guy. He was pretty good during those 2 hours and only tried to get away once but Matt just kept following him. I don't know what happened to his foot but it was all bent and looked like it was almost dead. We never heard from them but we hope he is doing ok! Now you know that my hubby is a huge animal lover (maybe more than me!!) and would never pass up the opportunity to help a poor helpless animal.
7 years ago


2 comments:
aww, cute little bird. I guess I really didn't know Matt was an animal lover.
how sad! well matt was always the one to pick up snakes if they were found in the house :)
Post a Comment