Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hawaii Day 4

** I forgot to mention that Friday night we went to the farmer's market near the hotel and bought fresh pineapple and sushi for dinner! I also bought an oyster hoping to find a pearl and when they opened it, it had 2 pearls in it! Score.

On Saturday we rented a car and headed up the coast to the North Shore. First stop was the Hukilau Cafe for breakfast. This cafe is located right next door to BYU-Hawaii and was suggested by my friend Sarah. It is also famous because the name is used in the movie 50 First Dates. My freshman roommate, Kim, met us there. It was so much fun to see her after nearly 7 years! For breakfast I got the macadamia nut pancakes and they were yummy.

Next stop was the Temple and visitors center and then over to visit BYU-Hawaii.








Next stop: Ted's Bakery. This bakery was suggested to me by Sarah and then by Kim. I got the chocolate Haupia Cream pie and it was SO GOOD.



After the bakery we went snorkeling at Shark's Cove. Kim lives right next to this cove so she met up with us and even let us park in her driveway! The water was choppy and murky so we didn't get to see much. Don't worry there were no sharks! At one point the waves threw me into a rock but luckily I was wearing a shirt so I didn't get too scraped up.





Look at us, never aging!



It seems like I am eating a lot on this day trip but it only gets better! On our way back to Waikiki we stopped at a hawaiian shaved ice stand. They put ice cream in the bottom and beans! We didn't get the beans but we did get the ice cream and it was divine!
Last stop was the Dole plantation. We got lunch there and it was surprisingly cheap. The terikyaki chicken was my favorite. I am craving it right now. We paid a ton of money to go on the train ride and get this.....they had just harvested so all we saw was dirt!!!










Had to get some pineapple icecream!

We named our rental car Lil' Sebastian

For dinner we went to this tiny place right near the hotel and it was so good we went back a second time!


Matt had to get a spam sandwich

It was great to get away from the touristy side of the island for a bit. The only disappointing part of the day was that we didn't get to stop by the Lost ranch....I was really hoping to take a picture next to the Jurassic Park sign. Next time.

2 comments:

laurbird said...

Did you gain weight, you talk about food more than anything else! But I am jealous & I want the delicious polynesian food. Take me next time you go to Hawaii.

The Peterson Family said...

Mmmmmm, Ted's - Chocolate Haupia pie is the best (haupia would be coconut for all you non-locals out there:). You're making me homesick for the North Shore. Looks like you got some great advice and hit up the good spots.